29.5.10

entry#100: TL;DR

Listening to: Mystery - B2ST
Random Thought of the Day: things i dont understand...


I feel like for my 100th post, I should probably write something meaningful. The following entry is probably just going to be an insanely long essay full of stream-of-conscious blathering. I guess, in a way, it'll just be me unloading things that have been on my mind recently, because I feel like my brain has been really crowded as of late.

Life
Recently, a lot of my friends have been going through minor quarter-life crises about what they want to do with their lives. I don't know if it's because they're so worried that I've begun to reconsider, as well, or because it's a concern that I've been suppressing in the back of my own mind. When people ask me what I want to do with my life, a year ago I would have confidently answered, " I want to become a pediatrician," last month I would have remarked with just as much certainty, " I want to work at a startup, and then go back to school and get a MBA." Now, though, I'm torn again- a week ago, I was half-heartedly joking that perhaps I should switch back into Life Sciences, because I seemed to be so much better at it. Is it because I'm worried that my grades won't be good enough for any [particularly, NYU's Stern ] business schools to admit me? Are my various accomplishments indicative of my abilities to do well as an entrepreneur? I have no clue, and it scares me. I'm the type of person who only likes things that I'm good at, and my present major is, to say the least, difficult. A more accurate way to represent how I feel about computer science is that it is a love-hate relationship, filled with "why the hell did I choose this" and " oh my god kill me now" moments. But as much as I despair that CS might be something I really have no aptitude for, it is something I desperately wish to excel at. I feel that the topic suits me - I love technology and learning about how technology works, I love puzzle-solving and seeing pieces of code translate into an almost-tangible change in the programs I write.

On the other hand, I lust after the courage to stray from a well-beaten path. It's kind of funny, and insanely hypocritical, that when others ask for my opinion on whether they should search for a 'conventional' job that they may not like as opposed to following their dreams, I always tell them to follow their dreams. Perhaps that's my way of living vicariously through others - I myself do not have the perseverance necessary to pursue what I really love, so I encourage others who are more dedicated than I, to do so. It seems selfish, pushing others to take the leap of faith when I'm too scared to even look over the cliff, but I wholeheartedly believe in the ability of my friends to achieve their dreams. I, however, wasted half my life chasing pipe dreams and living among the clouds.  Maybe that's why I should probably stay away from half-assed truths and stick to the things I know will pull me through life.

I guess for now, I can only stay steadfast to the path I've chosen. In two years, I will be graduating and joining the working force; it is too late for me to waver over minor losses of faith in my ability to do well at CS. I like to think that if I study hard enough, I can accomplish anything I set my mind to... so the first course of action, I suppose, will be to study hard. My parents once told me that the curse of America is that there are too many choices. If you give a person no options, he will eventually grow to like (or at least, be accustomed to) the path picked for him. Maybe, that's what I need to believe in: a steady career that puts food on the table first, loving my job comes later.

People always express their astonishment at the number of things I'm involved in. Shoot, sometimes, I'm astonished too, and ask myself, "how the hell did I wind up in this position?" The answer is probably either, I'm not good at saying No, or I'm too ambitious for my own good. I realize what I'm getting myself into probably won't be pretty, but when faced with the prospects of having to cut certain extracurriculars out of my life, I'm at a loss. I couldn't possibly imagine how I'd live without dancing; at the same time, I want to be involved in UPE and TBP because they're the extracurriculars that will help me the most in my future career. I can't possibly stop working, because I need the money, but how many jobs do I need - two, three, four - before i'm satisfied? I feel like, at some point, the sheer volume of the things I need to do might just overwhelm me, but as of right now, I'm happy being busy. Until that time, I'm going to try my best to balance as much as I can.

Love
I have nothing to say on this matter.
Well I do, but I'm just confused for now.
and i'm kind of pissed at myself. But that's another story.

In Between
 I just read through the last 99 entries of my blog. It took an hour. My life for the past year, in one hour. I guess what I've summed it all up to be is: I used to be happy, and then I was hella-fucking-emo, and then now I'm moodswingy. I suppose its because I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Over the last 99 jumbled, rambling, 10 word to essay-long entries, I've become darker, more cynical, more lost. As much as I want to say that I don't like it, I've said that before. But  I think I'm slowly changing for the better. Or, I hope.

I hope that in the next 100 posts, i will overall become a better person, like the person in my absolute favorite post of the last 99.

3 comments:

Ryo said...

lol dont worry about being hypocritical.
being positive for somebody else is not a bad thing at all.
i can see how it seems hypocritically but i think its actually not.
just think of it this way: you're just reminding your friends what they're capable of.

so here's my reminder to you.
you can do it.

besides, smooth seas don't make good sailors.
your path may not be the easiest, or the shortest. but im sure its the right choice.

stina said...

awww angie. lol, i have a feeling i won't be able to pursue my dreams either. i think i'll live vicariously through my sister, and maybe when she becomes famous, i'll be her photographer :D XD sigh. life is so complicated. but u know what... i think u can definitely grow to like things! and maybe ur not doing that well in CS right now, but keep in mind that you're soooo involved in everything and work experience is so important too! i believe in youu!! i think u have the personality to do super well in business :D :D

te-lung david chen (dtc) said...

haha, u sound exactly like my sister, not about the future thing but about how shes pretty much involved in various things. i think you two are like the "busy" people who for some reason just have to be busy no matter what. hope that works for u cuz it broke down my sis many times.

regarding career path, i agree on doing what u like but i think that will somehow come out on its own. like u said, put food on the table first. i honestly would be happy with any job right now lol.

hehe, u were thinking of pursuing an MBA after working a few years or less? i was actually thinking that same way because i definitely do not have the computer sense but i think i have the business sense (even though i view corporations negatively). i think u should go ahead and pursue this path if u want to, especially if u think u'd be good in business. who knows? maybe u might just end up getting a really good job and end up doing the business portion and not even have to get that MBA also.

Im taking it one step at a time: current goal is any job VERY MUCH RELATED to something useful. I don't know if we're supposed to be searching for just any job but I'm actually trying to somewhat handpick which jobs to apply for since I it'll probably impact your future jobs what experience you've had.

Just lettin you know you're not alone in this bullshit web of life. You got friends here who can relate.

Post a Comment

write here! :)